The Angraecum villain hunt continues. Day two. I had already looked all over the plant for any kind of insects but did not see anything. I am still trying to figure out why this one bud would fail, so I decided to perform a bud-autopsy on the mysteriously blasted Angraecum bud… No vermin found. Not even when scrutinized under a magnifying glass. No, my dear Watson, the working theory is that the spur might have gotten damaged somehow and that caused the bud to abort. I did not know they could be so sensitive, but apparently they can (thanks for the info Svetlana).
Marius, you wanted a closeup. There’s an even larger version of it on flickr.