Stelis gelidaI have been working on solving a problem, a rather nice problem I suppose… but a problem never the less. All the mounted orchids in the cool vivarium are doing really well and are growing like crazy. They are also putting out roots like crazy. A lot of them have grown straight through the EpiWeb mounts and begun to attach to the back wall. This is a wonderful sign of health of course, but I really would like to try and keep all the mounts flexible and movable, so I rather them not getting stuck.

So, until now I have just been attaching a second EpiWeb block on the back of the original mounts to collect the sprawling roots. But I am now seeing roots coming straight through the second mount as well, so I have been working out what I think is a rather clever solution, but only time will tell if it will work as good as I hope. I got some weed barrier fabric, the stuff you put down before laying down landscaping rocks for example. Since the fabric is made to withstand wet outdoors conditions and UV rays I think it will last a very long time. I cut a piece to size and glued it to the back of the EpiWeb mount using a hot glue gun. Hot glue sticks really well to the EpiWeb and it was pretty fast work actually.

For the double mounts I put the fabrinc across the bottom and all the way up the sides of the back mount and then sewed the two pieces together using fishing line. On single mounts where the roots have begun to peak through I just glued the fabric onto the back of the original mount and going about half way up the sides. All in an attempt to keep the roots contained within the mount. I would like the roots to fill the mounting brick horizontally rather that growing straight back. I really hope it works…

Root project -weed barrier fabricRoot project -weed barrier fabricRoot project -hot glue gunRoot projectRoot project Root project Root project - Pleurothallis rowleii Root project - Pleurothallis rowleii Root project - Pleurothallis rowleii Root project - Stelis gelidaRoot project - Stelis gelidaRoot project Root project - Porroglossum peruvianum